Saturday, January 31, 2009

ORAL TRADITION

I'm sitting with Alma.. Unfortunately I don't have my laptop with me so I'm not working on anything. I guess that is a lesson in itself. I should brace my body to be able to carry my laptop wherever I go so I can work anywhere unlike right now where I'm left with pen and paper. But when you think about it, before the advent of technology, this was it. A pen, and paper. These were the tools of a journalist. Not some battery operated thing that has invisible radio frequencies to work wonders and allow me to connect to the internet. A network of similar machines that provide technology and knowledge. Things might have gotten faster with the arrival of netbooks, wifi and the internet, but the tools of the trade still rely on a pen and a piece of parchment. Just that allows one to jot down history, capture a significant moment in time and eventually deliver it to an audience willing to pay for the knowledge by buying a copy of the article disseminating the knowledge further down the line to other people in the world. It took over from word of mouth, the oral tradition as it was known. Oh how far we have come. But things do come full circle eventually, there would be written as a form of an option, for when bandwidth eventually allows it, people can simply watch videos online to garner the wealth of knowledge from the various cultures of the world. From the wisemen of the various tribes, knowledge that is vital to us, who now are so drowned by the "free" information we get because of advertising, that sometimes, we no longer known which is true and which is false. Maybe someday someone will create a program to help filter the filth and make it all simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment