Friday, January 16, 2009

ADAMANTIUM


A few weeks ago, two of my friends got hitched in a church in Laguna, at the foot of Mount Makiling. I'm pretty excited about it since I have known them for a while now, and well, they have been living together since I did meet them. Also they have been together since they were in college.

Theirs is a love that I admittedly envy. It is a love that is already enduring. There are days that I ask if I could endure as long as they have. Because even though they are only getting married today, they have been together longer than me and my wife.

This brings us to the new movie by Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchette that is based on a short story by F. Scoot Fitzgerald, arguably one of the best American storytellers. The title of the movie is the Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

I won't go into details about the story of anything would constitute a spoiler warning. But suffice it to say, it is about an enduring love. It is easy to fall in love. It is difficult to stay in love. I fall in love all the time. But the rigor is staying in love with the one I am with. Though gadgets are really no threat to a human being, much less my wife, but falling in love is falling in love.

This is what the wedding for me is, a celebration of endurance and a celebration of continuing love. Whoever thinks that weddings are about the vows is sorely mistaken. God may bring us together, but he leaves it up to us to keep together, after all, he is an advocate of free will, including, in my opinion, the solidity of marriage.

I congratulate Raymz. I wish the best for Ducky. I love you both and pray for you to all the gods to bless your union.

No comments:

Post a Comment