Friday, January 16, 2009

NINTENDO LAST BEING GREEN

According to the tenth issue of the "Greenpeace Guide to Greener Electronics" gaming giant Nintendo is still being an environmental Grinch by not taking an active effort in giving a damn about the environment.

Greenpeace Southeast Asia Toxics Campaigner Beau Baconguis and I met up again at the recently concluded Cyberpress Kapihan Forum: Green I.T. at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in A. Venue Mall. I immediately asked her on how Nintendo was doing because since I took notice of Greenpeace's Guide to Greener Electronics, they have only made token gestures. And it seems that they are consistent in their apathy.

I myself am admittedly not a "tree-hugger" but when it comes to corporations as large as Nintendo, which makes billions in dollars in their products, they have a responsibility to make sure that they do not destroy the planet in their greed. Major corporations can make an impact that individuals can only dream of, and no matter how much I "Think globally and act locally" My "Every little counts" is swamped by what a major company can do if it only gave even a little "damn." Something that Nintendo should do.

Being a gamer, this is of interest to me, and to those who use Nintendo's products. If they do not begin being more environmentally aware, and their actions continue in the destruction of the environment, us the consumer of their products are part of the problem. I wonder when Nintendo will begin being part of the solution?

Other companies in the list include technological giants such as (alphabetical) Acer, Apple, Dell, Fujitsu Siemens, Hewlett Packard, Lenovo, LG, Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony Ericsson, and Toshiba. Nokia, though having lost a few points is still in the lead with being the greenest of the lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment