Saturday, January 31, 2009

ACER LAN PARTY ROCKS!

I played Game Master to the LAN Party that was hosted by ACER for the CyberPress (ITJAP) last January 23, 2009. And I joined the Crysis match and won by three measly kills from Ed Geronia of T3 and four from Billy Allardo of PC World. This was a serious win for me and I had to bring my A-Game to the match and then some as these two beat me in a previous match that was hosted by INTEL.

I was quite ecstatic that I was able to pull it off, and I sincerely congratulate Ed and Billy for their respective wins. Tom Noda of Computer World also deserves some kudos as being a black horse in the competition when he took fourth when he said that it was his first time to play the game.

We helped the people of ACER set up the matches and in choosing the games for the LAN party. They were honest enough to admit that they were not hardcore gamers who went to LAN parties. I, being one of a such did so a lot, and was asked by President Jing Garcia of ITJAP to become the point person for the matches.

This I did and I think that I pulled it off quite well, though I could have set up the matches for the Need For Speed: ProStreet a little faster if I did it before. I asked for help in setting up the Crysis dedicated server as I was busy myself in practicing for the match. The NFS: ProStreet was four matches, a qualifying heat, then I separated the players into two tiers, with the winners from both tiers going on the finals. The winners were Melvin Calimag of Manila Bulletin at first, Joel Pinaroc at second place and another dark horse, Luis Oliveros of Computer World at third. Another participant who said "I am not much of a gamer." Funny that the two dark horses in the event were from the same company.

It also helped that the LAN setup was composed of the top of the line gaming computers of ACER and get this, the server we used was the new Predator G7710, the one with the new Intel Core i7. Yes the new processor which again, simply laughed at the load we gave it hosting the NFS match and the Crysis practice match at the same time. Lufet!

All in all, it was a fantastic night of learning for everyone on what a LAN party was and for me on how to seriously host one in a professional manner, used to be it was my friends who did host the LAN parties I went to who did the hosting bit. I guess it also brings me back to the late nineties when we had our first LAN parties at Leech's house where we played Blood, Quake, and Red Alert. Before that we had Modem to Modem parties I guess because that is what we used playing Command & Conquer and Diablo. Ah those were the days indeed.

Tonight it was nostalgia and also some things coming full circle for me when I helped with this little activity. Me winning the Nikon Coolpix L10 was just icing for the cake. It doesn't hurt that the camera will surely help me in my coming coverages for the year for this blog and for Playground Magazine.

Thanks to ACER to Mr. Manuel Wong, Ms. Agnes Espino and the rest of the ACER Team for the very fun night.

No comments:

Post a Comment